Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bachelorhood

So, I just returned from a quick trip to LA. I was gone less than 48 hours. Of that time, the boys spent about 9 waking hours at Miss Tammy's house, and approximately 22 hours sleeping. They also spent about 6 hours with Kevin and Lisa. That left two evenings, plus one morning that all three boys (I include Tyler) were home.

The result? Something out of Lord of the Flies. Here is what I returned home to:

Glen - sporting his favorite fox sweatshirt, mud boots (on inside the house), and pirates of the carribean underpants. Which, by the way, he was wearing when I left.

And Maddox, in his warmest jammies (it's probably about 70 degrees right now), with spiderman snowboots, a sticky face and marker all over his hands.

Now, in my book, there are a few things that are given. For instance, everyone should at least put on clean underpants every day. Faces should be washed after eating. Boots should not be worn in the house.

Am I angry? frustrated? Nope. More like amused. And grateful that while I was laughing about what hadn't been done, I could see clear evidence of the things that had. The boys were fed a good, nutritious breakfast (eggs, sausage, toast and fruit). They were playing stimulating games (coloring, plus the matching cards were out) instead of watching TV. The garden had been watered, and the animals had been fed. Tyler was outside mowing - and with the horses away at boot camp, mowing includes about 5 acres worth of fields in addition to the (four) yards, so this is no small task.

I guess it just goes to show that a woman's touch is missed when she's gone. I missed my wild boys too.

No comments: