I think I need to have a talk with Glen. A version of the talk. I should have seized the day when I had the chance, but, honestly, I wasn't quite sure how to respond. Observe.....
The setting: In the car, driving to Bradyn's birthday party, just as we pass the hospital.
Maddox: MumMum! That's where you work!
Glen: Only sometimes.
Maddox: Yeah, mostly you work on airplanes.
Me: Do you know what else is special about that hospital?
Silence.
Me: That's where both of you were born! (Observe - my first mistake).
Glen: Yeah, and that's where I had my surgery too!
Me: That's right.
Glen: And you had surgery when we were born. And Dad had surgery when he broke his knee playing football. (Not quite right, but close enough).
Maddox: I not have surgery!
Me: Nope, you haven't had surgery.
Glen: Everyone in our family except Maddox has had surgery. Uncle Jay had his tonsils out. And so did Grandma. And Grammy had surgery too!
Me: What kind of surgery did Grammy have? (Mistake #2).
Glen: She had surgery when you and Uncle Jay were borned.
Me: No... Grammy didn't have surgery when we were born. (Mistake #3. Can you see where this is going?).
Glen: Yes, she did!
Me: No... not all ladies need surgery to have babies, honey. (Mistake #4... but I'm, in too deep to back out now!).
Glen: Then how do the babies come out of the tummy?
Silence.
Me: Well....... the mom just pushes the baby out. (I'm pretty proud of this - it's accurate but not too detailed - and try to change the subject by showing the boats on the river to Maddox. No luck.)
Glen: Push out how?
Me: With.... their muscles.
Glen: So, the mom goes like this (strains really hard so his face turns red), and the baby explodes out of the mama's tummy?
Seriously... how do you respond to that? No, really, I'm open to suggestions. I think someone is going to have to have an anatomy lesson sometime soon. This is probably a perception that I should correct. Good thing we have male and female versions of horses and dogs, as I think a visual aid will be required..... I just hope he doesn't start to get curious about how the babies get IN the mama's tummy.....
Monday, August 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment