Friday, August 27, 2010

Northwoods: Family

The boys and I recently returned from an action-packed vacation to Wisconsin to visit my roots, reconnect with family, and celebrate Grandma BooBoo's and Grandpa Chuck's 80th birthdays.  We had a fantastic time... a major highlight for me, as always, was spending time with my (rather large) family.

First up was a stay at the birthday boy and girl's house.  After about a 12 hour trip (including three airports AND a 4-hour drive) we arrived around midnight for a snack and hugs.  Then, off to bed for all.  I thoroughly enjoyed the thunderstorms that seemed to roll through every night...

The boys LOVED staying at Grandma BooBoo's house - especially picking apples of the neighbor's tree, playing in the park, riding bicycles, and eating her pink applesauce (family secret).  Maddox and Grandpa were buddies, especially in the morning (you know you have a cool Grandpa when he'll watch SpongeBob with you!).


Here are the birthday couple with the boys.


Another major highlight, for everyone, was spending time with cousins.  I have always loved having cousins close in age to me - we grew up together, and it is always fun to spend time together as adults too.  And, my cousins kids are close in age to my kids too... they had a blast playing together!


The whole gang.  From left to right: Glen (6), Eli (9), Jayce (3), Ethan (7), Lexi (8), and Maddox (4).  Maddox and Jayce, especially, were buddies.  They often broke apart from the older kids to play on their own - it was really cute to watch!


Me with Amy and Jody - aren't we a good looking crew?

After we spent a few days with Grandma BooBoo and Grandpa Chuck, it was off to Grandma Donna and Grandpa Tom's house.  Grandma always invites her brothers and sisters over when I'm there, so I always get to see everyone.  We had a nice time catching up - it is always great to reconnect with the whole family!  I think for the first time, Glen really "got" how many aunts and uncles (or I guess in his case, Great-great-aunts and uncles....) he has - it was pretty cool to see him process all of that.

Here are the guys with their proud great-grandparents!

No comments: